Thursday, November 13, 2014

Let Whatever You Do Today Be Enough


How do we measure or evaluate what we do? Just because we may not receive grand recognition or a Nobel Peace Prize nomination, does it change the value of what we do?
Ten years ago I sat in a group and started to feel anxious. I was deep in the trenches with an almost two year old and had just found out I was pregnant again. Changing the world was not on my short list of things to accomplish that day. Even as I listened to the other women share what they were doing (and they had young kids as well) I felt insignificant.
But then...came the voice of reason and truth from one of the mentor/seasoned/experienced women in the group. "You are shaping the life/lives of small people.  You are telling them about God's love, meeting their physical and emotional needs throughout every day and you are sacrificing so much to usher these small people into adulthood. You are making a huge difference." And there was a sigh of relief...at least from me. I don't think I will change the world, but if I start with one (or 3) people and focus on them, then just maybe they will in turn be  change makers in someone else's life. I can't expect to solve labor issues in 3rd world countries, but I can instill a strong work ethic and model a strong work ethic to the people around me. I can teach my children how to be fair and honest and to show grace to those around them.

Just yesterday, my oldest daughter came home telling me that our neighbor asked her to babysit and how much she charged. When she answered (with a reasonable amount for an 11 year old to be paid), the neighbor said "oh no, we pay $20 an hour". Needless to say, she was thrilled, but I told her that would not happen because she didn't need to be making more than someone working at McDonald's or Starbuck. I also explained to her that her attitude would change if she were paid that much money. There are people who don't go out with their spouses because the cost of babysitting is too expensive. I don't want her to start turning down jobs or feeling indifferent because she doesn't think she is being paid fairly. On the flip side, if she wants to take the money that she were to make from our neighbors and use it  adopt a family this Christmas or to buy some gasoline for generators at Tent City, that would be OK, but I didn't want the money to go towards an iPad or Uggs. I may have gone on a tangent here, but my point is that adopting a family, reaching out to the homeless community, raking leaves for an elderly neighbor or taking a meal to a family in need can carry just as much weight and impact. I know people may argue that you are feeding thousands or bringing a global awareness to a larger need, but you are investing in people and building relationships.
Don’t undermine what you do each day. I have a sign that I see when I wake up each morning that says “Let whatever you do today be enough”. Let it. Today may be better than tomorrow, but there will always be another tomorrow.

No comments: