Thursday, November 20, 2014

Furniture

... Follies – Moving Furniture In a Burning House | Linked 2 Leadership

In the midst of a deep discussion today...ok..a counseling session, I was given the analogy of "if everything in your house burned down wouldn't you go out and buy new furniture?" The point that was trying to be made was that if what you have been dealt thus far turns to shit and ceases to exist, you would go out and replace it. I think know that the counselor was trying to get me to understand that I needed to start replacing some faulty messages and lies I had been told all of my life with things that were good and true. I got the last laugh. When he asked if I would go get new furniture after a house fire, I said, "Yes, but I would go to a thrift store to get it because I would not want to replace it with anything that I valued too much lest the house burn down again.". I think I stumped him. If nothing else, he got a clearer idea of where I am coming from and how far I have to go. What can I say? I'm risk adverse and I try to limit my losses. The thought of feeling gut wrenching pain is enough to force me to throw up walls wherever I can. That said, I will try to see if I can't get it through my thick skull that whether or not I'm ever told this side of Heaven that I have value and worth, that I would know it and believe it...because everyone has value and everyone has worth.  Some may be higher than others, but in the eyes of God, I believe that He values all of us the same. Billy Graham has no more value to Him that the beggar on the street corner.  If anything, His heart may be more inclined towards the beggar.

No comments: