Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Actually

 
 
It was Christmas 1988 and I was a sophomore in high school.  I don't remember wanting much more than for my mom to put our house up for sale so that I could be eligible to play Varsity softball. I had transferred high schools and as a result was told that I had lost my eligibility to play at the varsity level until I had been enrolled for a full school year or had a new mailing address outside of the district I was living in. Basically, life sucked and I had no control over my circumstances. My mom had been dating the same guy (my stepdad) for a few years at that point and while we didn't say much to each other (which was because neither one of us is big on talking), apparently he knew what the cool gift was for a 15 year old girl. Not only did I unwrap this amazing device on Christmas Eve, I had this included in the package.
 
 
 
 
Not sure what this is?  This my friends was my very first CD that I listened to overandoverandoverandover again. It didn't seem like such a big deal at the time, but looking back, and remembering how raw life felt at 15, I am so grateful that I could listen to "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" on repeat. I don't think I knew what the song was about, but I could certainly resonate with the chorus of "how am I gonna get through". It is funny how 26 years later when I listen to this song it takes me back to those nights of laying in bed thinking that nothing would ever be as hard as 15. Boy was I wrong. 

No comments: